Thursday, April 12, 2007

Example Essay #5

Why must I make sure everything in the house is perfectly positioned and not out of place before I leave for work in the morning? Why do I get my nails done every other week to make certain they keep looking presentable? Why is it that my clothes are to be ironed even on the weekend when I might not even leave the house? I blame these crazy obsessive-compulsive habits on my mother.

When I was growing up my mother was a fanatic about the house looking acceptable whether we were having company or not. Vacuuming was done every day, she dusted weekly, bathroom was cleaned daily and if I was going to play with a toy it was to be cleaned with lysol before I could play with it for fear I may catch a germ. She even went, as far as if I went outside I was to only play on the pavement so I wouldn’t get dirty. Now, living in my own house, dusting is done weekly, vacuuming is done weekly, bathroom is cleaned weekly and I freak out even if a picture frame is out of place. I can’t even leave a dirty dish in the sink. They are washed every morning and every night.

At night, I remember my dad, my mom, and I all would watch the Crosby show together from 7-730pm. Between commercials, I remember my mother would be giving her self a pedicure or manicure depending upon what night of the week it was. She usually gave her self a pedicure on Tuesday nights and a manicure on Thursday nights. I always wanted her to paint my nails and toes so I could be just like her. Now, once every two weeks I go have my nails professionally done and once a month have my toes professionally done. That way they always look perfect just the way my mom used to do them for me. I love to pamper myself and other than getting my hair cut and highlighted once every four weeks, it’s the only other thing I do to feel good about myself. I guess I never outgrew the love of having my nails and toes painted by someone else.

As a child I can remember my mom had my clothes laid out for me when I got out of the shower in the morning. Stretch leggings were the in thing back in the late 80’s paired with slouch socks and an oversized tee. Mom always made sure I had the best clothes and always looked presentable whether I was going to school or just outside to play. Today, the same rule applies. Even if I’m going outside to do yard work, my clothes match. If I wear my blue nike wind pants than its usually paired with my white nike t-shirt with the blue swish or if its hot than I will wear my white nike shorts that have the blue stripe down the side paired with my blue nike shirt.

As I sit here reminiscing about what it was like growing up with my obsessive-complusive mother, I realize that I have grown up to be just like her and it isn’t a bad thing. Just because my mother and I like things neat and presentable doesn’t make us bad girls. Looking at my mother now and seeing what she has accomplished in her life by becoming an RN and seeing how she has complete control with her life and her future can only mean that being like her gives me an opportunity to have complete control of my life and what happens with my future.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

I don't know about the chances of having complete control of your life, but you do have complete control of content and structure and tone and example in this little essay, and I'm glad to take it.