Thursday, April 12, 2007

Process Essay #4 - Take 2

I have often sat back and wondered what makes me have a good day and what makes me have a bad day whether I’m at work, school, or home. I’ve been giving it a great deal of thought lately as I have observed myself have some negative behavior and thoughts. I understand that trying to stay positive and eliminate any bad thoughts is the first step to trying to have a better day. At least that is the process I have been trying to practice.

When I awake in the morning, I stretch and I thank God that He has blessed me with another day. I always make sure to tell myself “it’s a great day to be alive”. Most of my thinking whether good or bad comes first thing in the morning while I’m exercising and then when I’m taking a shower. Most of the time any negative thoughts I would have this early in the morning would be the fact that I hate getting ready for work, applying make-up, doing my hair, it always seems to be such a process. Like the other day, I knocked the blowdryer off the bathroom counter and right into the toilet. That’s just my luck. At times like these, I’m always sure to put my life into perspective, to focus on the positive in my life and to be thankful for my family and friends and that I have a job to go to..some people don’t.

At work, my position in accounting can be very stressful at times, especially at end of month. I fight any negative thoughts and try not to dwell on the bad, like its month end and my desk looks like bomb went off from all the general ledger accounts and statements. It is times like these I try to make sure everyone including myself tries to stay up beat and enthusiastic. I like to send out funny or joke emails to try to make them laugh. I also try to smile a lot, more than normal, hoping it will rub off. I try to be optimistic and help in any way I can to those that may be more apt to dwell in the negativity of thinking “this place is the pits” because they are so bogged down with paperwork. Anytime I feel like I am headed down the road of negativity, I sing myself a happy tune, usually it’s the song I last heard on the radio that morning when I was driving to work, I just hope that’s it’s a good up beat country tune not one of those down in the dumps ‘cause the wife left and I shot the dog tune. I also keep in perspective that the obstacles I face now are just stepping-stones to my future in accounting and life.

School is a new concept to me. Although I enjoy my classes, I can still feel the stress from time to time from deadlines of homework. Working full time has a big part of that stress factor. If I only had known what I know now I would have definitely gone to college directly after graduating from high school. Then I could have switched the roles; gone to school full-time and worked part-time. In order to stay up beat and positive I do not dwell in the past, regretting not taking full advantage of living at home with parents and continuing my education, instead I focus on my future and the goals I have set for myself. I believe having goals for myself has given me a sense of personal power that in itself has given me strength and great positive energy that I will continue to gain from for years to come.

Life isn’t perfect for me or for anyone so when things look grim for me I have a success file that I pull out and praise myself to try and better my spirits. I also listen to my body. If I’m feeling stress from the pressure of work, school or personal issues, I take time out for myself. I take a long walk outside or if it’s in the dead of winter I take a nice hot bath to ease my mind. I also believe that making the right decisions in what I eat and drink to keep my mind and body healthy has a strong role in keeping a positive attitude. Although I must say having a big 22 oz. beer and bowl of popcorn usually cures any ailments I may be having. If all else fails I go to bed, tomorrow will be a better day.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

I like the added material. Much more individual. I'll take it.

Do you think the order of grafs 4 and 5 could hypothetically be switched? If so, that's a problem to consider in the future.