Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Isearch Worksheet

What is an I-search?
An Isearch is a research paper that asks a question. It does not simply gather information for its own sake. It asks a question, and then you hunt for information that answers the question.

It is a question whose answer matters to your life in some way. It is a question you really do not know the answer to, but you would like to. It is a question which you can realistically pursue in the course of a single semester. It is a question with more legs, depth, angles, and nuance than a simple yes/no answer.

It is a research paper that puts "I"--you--at the center of things.

What do you want to write about? Becoming a Certified Public Account
What do you want to find out about your topic? What services do they provide

What are your questions about the topic?
1. What does becoming a CPA entitle?
2. How do you get your CPA?
3. What sort of guidelines, if any, are to be followed when becoming a CPA
How does it connect to your life?
I want to become a CPA

Give three reasons you like the topic
1. I enjoy/love accounting but I don’t know a lot about taxes
2. I want to help other people
3. I want to know more about being a CPA and different avenues I can take in the field.
Give three ways your life might change if you answer your questions
1. It may clinch my feelings for wanting to become a CPA
2. I may decide not to be come a CPA
3. It will help me better prepare my future in school and life.
Do you already know the answer to your question? NO If the answer is sitting in a single book somewhere or if all you need do to find the answer is make some simple decision or ask one person one question, it isn't going to work out for a research paper becuase there isn't much you can research. Is it that kind of question and answer? If it is, please redo the worksheet.

4 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Sure, this will work--be open to adding questions, subsidiary questions, if you find the first ones are fairly easy to research. I mean, if you discover, for example, that you need college algebra but that you hate math, then your new question might be, 'can I overcome my mathphobia with counseling?' That sort of thing.

You can start writing right away about your work history, your schooling history, your accounting and tax life, stuff like that--it will all be in the intro. Make sense?

Mandy said...

yes...once I have completed the intro writing or I should say jotting down different information and ideas should I post it on my blog for you to review??

johngoldfine said...

Either post or email.

After you do the history stuff, take a look at your questions and write down what you think you already know about the answers--before doing any research. Then you have a baseline for where you start from.

And yes, by all means jot down any ideas and stuff even if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I started take up real money.
It's all about how to choose a correct companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]