Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Freestyle Week #3

I went to visit my dad and step mom this weekend. They don’t live far, but I’ve been so busy that I haven’t been able to spend too much time with them. While I was there, my grandmother came over to visit and gave us an update on my uncle. My uncle has lived with cerebral palsy all his life. Unfortunately not too long ago the doctors found that the artery that flows blood to the legs and feet is clogged. They are performing surgery on him to remove his feet. Even though he has always been confined to a wheelchair, it is still awful to think that he is going to lose his feet. I’m very bothered by all of this, because his health is failing severely and he is such a sweet man. He has never lived a perfect life. He has smoke and drank, but his only wish was to live independently in his apartment and pass away in his apartment. He now is moving in with another one of my uncles and his family and home care will be assisting him. He feels as though he is a burden to the family, but all we want is for him to be comfortable for however long he has with us.