Thursday, March 29, 2007

Process Essay #4

Have you ever sat back and wondered what makes you have a good day or bad day whether you are at work, school, or home? Well, I’ve been giving it a great deal of thought lately, as I have observed some negative and positive behavior from myself and from my colleagues at work and school. I believe the difference between a good day and a bad day stems from having a positive attitude and to eliminate any bad thoughts. At least that is how the process works for me.

When I awake in the morning, I stretch and I thank God that He has blessed me with another day. I always make sure to tell myself “it’s a great day to be alive”. Most of my thinking whether good or bad comes first thing in the morning while I’m exercising and then when I’m taking a shower. I’m always sure to put my life into perspective, to focus on the positive in my life and to be thankful. I fight any negative thoughts and try not to dwell on the bad. Although at times this can be very difficult it seems to work well for me.

At work, my position in accounting can be very stressful at times, especially at end of month. It seems like no one is in a good mood from all the dead lines we face. At times like these I try to make sure everyone including myself tries to stay up beat and enthusiastic. I smile a lot, more than normal, hoping it will rub off. I try to be perky and optimistic and help in any way I can to those that may be more apt to dwell in the negativity of thinking “this place is the pits”. Anytime I feel like I am headed down the road of negativity I sing myself a happy tune and think the obstacles I face are just stepping-stones to my future in accounting and life.

School is a new concept to me. Although I enjoy my classes, I can still feel the stress from time to time from deadlines of homework. Working full time has a big part of that stress factor. If I only had known what I know now I would have definitely gone to college directly after graduating from high school. Then I could have switched the roles; gone to school full-time and worked part-time. In order to stay up beat and positive I do not dwell in the past I focus on my future and the goals I have set for myself. I believe having goals for myself has given me a sense of personal power that in itself has given me strength and great positive energy that I will continue to gain from for years to come.

Life isn’t perfect for me or for anyone so when things look grim for me I have a success file that I pull out and praise myself to try and better my spirits. I also listen to my body. If I’m feeling stress from the pressure of work, school or personal issues, I take time out for myself. I take a long walk outside or if it’s in the dead of winter I take a nice hot bath to ease my mind. I also believe that making the right decisions in what I eat and drink to keep my mind and body healthy has a strong role in keeping a positive attitude. Although I must say having a big 22 oz. beer and bowl of popcorn usually cures any ailments I may be having. If all else fails I go to bed, tomorrow will be a better day.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

A low-impact topic like this lives and dies on details and individuality. Ask yourself--can this graf apply to a 50 year old? A man? Someone living in California? A cop going back to school? An ex-con going back to school? If the answers are yes, there is a problem you need to fix to make the writing really work so that only one person in the whole world could have written this.