Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Essay #1

Oh it can’t be…it is. My alarm is buzzing. That means its 5 o’clock in the morning. As I lay in bed, the thought of my feet hitting the floor and getting on to that treadmill for a twenty minute high-paced, get my blood pumping, heart racing, walk/jog makes me want to roll over, pull the covers over my head and stay where its nice, comfy, warm and relaxing. But, I know that exercising is essential to my body in order for me to stay in shape and to avoid any of the heart conditions heredity in my family. Exercising is also a part of my daily routine, a routine that if out of cycle could ruin any chance of me having a “normal” day.

After exercising its time for me to pick out an outfit. Now depending on the day, the weather, and how I feel all play a factor on what I chose. The positive is that where I work they have a casual dress code so as long as it is appropriate attire it will be okay and the only rule is no jeans unless it is Friday. So the decision is pretty much wide open, which for me, who is the obsessive-compulsive type can be almost depressing. What color pants, what type of shirt, long sleeve, short sleeve, turtleneck….oh the agonizing pain of it all. Sometimes I wish that I worked where we had to wear a uniform so the decision would all ready be made for me. My thought process of what I want to wear usually starts the night before and by the time I have finished exercising in the morning, I know what I want to wear and it is time to iron before jumping into the shower.

Like the majority of women, after showering I have the make-up and hair to complete before heading out the door to begin my day. But for me, the process is so much more. The make-up is always first to be applied, and when applied, there is a method to my madness. Foundation is applied first, a light bronzer second with a soft glowing blush to try and hide how pale I really am. Then the eye shadow; I try to stick with natural colors so I don’t look like bozo the clown. After the eye shadow I apply my black-brown mascara. I have been told that black-brown mascara brings out the brightness of blue eyes. Anything is worth a shot to avoid people looking at my nose that is outsized for my round face. Then the final touch of a light colored lip-gloss. As I stare at myself in the mirror my main objection was too hide my freckles for another day – mission accomplished. Moving right along…time is ticking away…

Hair. What is the purpose? I have worn my hair long, short, medium and nothing seems to make me happy. I always thought shaving it would be a fantastic idea, until I saw what Britney looked liked. I guess hair isn’t so bad after all. So with my new attitude towards hair, I reach into the cupboard under the sink and get out the good ol’ faithful hairdryer. Last week I certainly learned my lesson about putting the hairdryer away; I had left it on the corner of the sink and my roommate came into the bathroom and knocked it into the toilet with her elbow by accident. It certainly gave us a good morning laugh; thank goodness we had a spare. Since my hair is short, blow-drying takes but only a minute just enough to get the dampness out of it and then I reach for the styling wax. It’s an invention that has been out for a few years now and my personal opinion is that this wax is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You can spike your hair, you can have it slicked right to the side of your head, or if you have a hairstyle similar to mine you put the wax in your hair and fluff with your fingers just enough to give it a little body so it doesn’t look completely lifeless. Once I have messed around putting the strands that wanted to be out of place in place and I feel somewhat satisfied that it’s a good as it is going to get since my hair is naturally curly and does whatever it darn well pleases its time for the finisher – the maximum hold hairspray. I think if we had 50 mph wind gusts hair wouldn’t budge with this stuff. In my book its definitely high on the list for the best things ever created!

By the time I have finished my routine in the morning, I have spent an hour and a half of my day. Which makes me wonder. If you times that by five days a week, times that by 52 weeks a year, times the last four years I have been employed with this company, divided by 24 hours in a day, leaves me with the number of 65. 65 days out of the last four years has been dedicated to exercise and fixing my hair and makeup. That makes me believe that society today is so dependent on how people look physically that they miss what is really important; the personality, the brain, the uniqueness of the individual. Maybe tomorrow when I get ready for the day I’ll skip applying make-up, but don’t hold your breath, I don’t deal with change very well.

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Whoops! This turned into a process essay--step by step how you prep for the day.

I thought from graf 1 that we were going to get the three reasons you exercise: shape, heart, normal routine.

Why not turn it into a process essay? A slightly different intro would do that.

Mandy said...

Sorry - I didn't realize. So, turning it into a process essay would put the intro like this:

It is 5am. Time for my morning jog on the treadmill. The only thing motivating my body is the cup of coffee waiting for me when I'm done exercising.....etc,etc.

??? Better?? Getting away from the alarm clock and using your suggestion about the morning cup of coffee.... =)

johngoldfine said...

Keywords like process, steps, stages, first-second-third help to make it clear that we are getting a series of steps in time leading to some kind of outcome.