Wednesday, February 7, 2007

People Graf #9

When people meet him for the first time, they either like him or he drives them nuts. He could careless what anyone thinks of him, anyone that is except for his family. For my dad, family means everything to him.

My dad has taught me about the value of life, love and happiness. He is strong man, hard-worker, do anything for anyone kind of a guy, but don’t ever lie to him. He hates a liar. He told me when I was young, “Punk, (short for punkin, one of his many nicknames for me), I don’t mind you going to friend’s house, going to parties, going out on a date, but don’t you ever let me catch somewhere you didn’t tell me you were going to be. Once you cross me, I’ll never let you go anywhere again unless it is to work or school while you live under this roof…understood?” I can sit here and honestly tell you, I never crossed that man. Not because I was scared of testing the waters or to see how far I could test his patience, but because I never wanted him to be disappointed in me.

When people meet him, they don’t know that he was a single dad raising me during those “hard” teenage years and that him and I are and always will be the best of friends. They don’t realize that his rough around the edges attitude and looks comes from years of hard work to support him and I. But once they give him a chance they realize he is just a great, hard-working, dedicated, loving man.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

That's a nice speech you give your father--very much explains the man.