Monday, February 26, 2007

Freestyle Week #6

I knew this day was coming. I had tried my best to prepare myself, but how do you prepare yourself for your mom moving two thousand miles away? I admit my mother and I aren’t the “picture perfect” mother/daughter relationship, we have certainly had our tribulations, but I still hated to see her go. I know that she is doing this for herself and for her soon to be husband, they are trying to better their life. He accepted a dean position at a college in Texas and she was offered a position as a case manager at a hospital in the same area. After we said goodbye, I got in my car and cried. I cried like a baby. I couldn’t even see the road, I was crying so hard. I had to pull over. It has been five days since she left and as I sit here typing this, I could cry. I feel like I’ve lost her. I can’t stop wondering when I will see her again, hug her again, and spend time with her again. I’m not sure how long I will feel like this, quite honestly, I don’t think I will ever accept her being gone. I know that there is email, the telephone, and I could even write a letter, but it just isn’t the same. I used to be able to get in my car and be at her house in five minutes. Now, the quickest way to see her is in an airplane – nine hours away. And don’t even get me started on my fear of airplanes.

5 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Could be an intro to a cause essay!

Mandy said...

my three grafs could be about emailing, the telephone and writing letters? - I read your lectures regarding the essays - I guess I misunderstood ...

johngoldfine said...

I was thinking of the reasons y0u missed her, seemed like a good topic.

But, no, those three items you mention would lead into a different type paper.

These five graf things are confusing you right now, I see. You're writing is strong so you don't have to look over your shoulder worrying--this essay format will come in time. What can I do to help?

Mandy said...

Oh honestly, I have no idea how to even help myself. I was reading your lecture on classification essays and trying to think of a topic and I read the examples of past students and I guess I just get lost in all that could be written about in life. and I guess I am having difficulty separating what would be considered a process, classification, cause, etc.

johngoldfine said...

If it will make you feel any better, I had no clue about any of the stuff you're talking about when I started teaching here 20 years ago. Never had it in college or gradschool; it's very artificial. If you want to go beyond my minimal lectures, try googling 'five paragraph essay'--the first page of hits looked okay--or go to the Purdue writing lab or ask me specific questions.